Today, lower back pain is a common problem that many people suffer from. Generally, we ignore the pain as it subsides after taking rest for some time. It is usually for the short term and gets better without causing much issue, like immobility or numbness etc. However, if the back pain does not subside even after taking a good rest or over-the-counter pain killers, it is time to be concerned about it and get diagnosed by a doctor. Most back pain is due to a number of factors, though there may be a specific condition like degenerative discs or a lumbar herniated disc disorder which can be evaluated by an orthopedic doctor. The lower back pain could be complex situation as the back is made up of bones, discs, nerves, tendons and spinal muscles leading to a number of problems.
Several common causes that can aggravate the pain are poor posture, wrong exercises, lifting heavy objects, weakness, unhealthy lifestyle etc. Not everyone shows the same symptoms of back pain, and the amount of severity also differs from person to person. A small strain on a group of back muscles could cause an aggravating pain, while a deteriorating disc may lead to mild pain and discomfort. Here are a few signs when you really need to be concerned about your problem.
- Pain that lasts for more than 3 to 4 weeks. Though some exercises and painkillers might offer temporary relief, but if it recurs often, and continues for several weeks, meet the doctor at the soonest.
- Continuous pain that becomes worse as time passes by. Usually after rest, most pains do subside, but if this pain increases, you need to be seriously concerned.
- Traditional remedies do not help and the pain gets more severe should alert you about a huge trouble. Usually home remedies reduce the pain effectively, but it is really a threat if your pain doesn’t decrease despite numerous home remedies.
- Unexplained fever with severe back pain is yet another alarming sign. There are several reasons for a person to get fever, but if you have severe back pain accompanied with high fever, it is time to visit your doctor.
- Pain that limits your regular movements and restricts your activities is a clear indication that you should get yourself diagnosed without delay.
- Sudden pain in the upper back along with back pain needs medical attention.
- Severe pain that does not allow you to sleep or wakes you up at midnight should be taken seriously. It might be a signal to visit your doctor.
- Experiencing tingling sensation or numbness along with low back pain in legs and upper back could be an open call to meet your doctor.
- Back pain that is caused due to a mishap, like falling from a high place or after an accident needs special attention and medical care.
If you suffer from any one or few of the symptoms mentioned above, it is time to take a quick appointment from your doctor and undergo all the required treatment methods and medication prescribed by him. If you are looking for a quality physical therapist in Wyckoff, look no further than Apex Orthopedic Rehabilitation.