In my paramus physical therapy practice we discuss key components for those recovering or trying to prevent another episode of low back pain. Here are a few key points:
- Don’t SIT for greater than 20 minutes at a time
- Walking program 3x/week for 20-30minutes
- Make sure your computer work station is ergonomically safe
- Use a lumbar roll when sitting or driving in order to maintain your normal spinal curves
- Avoid bed rest longer than 2 days
- Avoid excessive bending forward and twisting of your trunk
- Don’t smoke
- Avoid slouching in standing or sitting- Plus it doesn’t make anyone look good!
- Bend at your knees and maintain the normal curve of your back while lifting anything.
Unfortunately, you can be damaging parts of your lumbar spine without experiencing pain. That is why even with the absence of pain you want to adhere to these basic tips to decrease the chance of an episode of low back pain.
Apex Orthopedic Rehabilitation in Paramus, NJ provides orthopedic and sports physical therapy services for the greater Ridgewood, Paramus, and Bergen County region. This blog is intended for informational purposes only and should not be used for diagnostic or prescriptive purposes. The views expressed here are the author’s views and should be taken as suggestions. Always consult your physician before engaging in a physical therapy or rehabilitative regimen.