Quick checklist to follow prior to starting a stretching program:
- Warm up for 5-10 minutes before stretching
- Stretching should be pain free! Mild discomfort is fine.
- Don’t bounce when stretching
- Avoid stretching that causes ‘tingling”, “numbness” or “burning”
- Hold stretch position for 3 times for 30 second hold
- Don’t hold your breath during stretch
- Don’t stretch an injury! Within 48-72 hours of getting injured stretching may cause further damage.
- Stretch equally each muscle group. By a balanced stretching program you can avoid muscle imbalances which we will talk about in future blogs or newsletters.
When in doubt seek a professional medical examination especially if you have a history of past or current injuries. You can see any one of these professionals: physical therapist, orthopedist or an athletic trainer.
Some patients don’t realize you can now see a physical therapist in the state of New Jersey without a physician referral for various orthopedic conditions and injury prevention programs.
Personalized Physical Therapy Services in Paramus and Ridgewood NJVoted the Most Attentive Orthopedic Physical Therapists in Bergen County
Results-Oriented Back Pain, Neck Pain, Knee Pain Treatment and Solutions
Affordable and Personalized Physical Therapy Clinic serving Paramus and Ridgewood NJ